Mammogram results are in!

I had my repeat mammogram of my left breast yesterday and the good news is that the spot they needed to recheck was just normal breast tissue.

I was very nervous about getting the results of this mammogram, in fact I would say that I was actually dreading hearing the results.

This mammogram was much more painful than the first one. They use a special plate that really squishes the area of the breast that they need to look at. I thought I was going to pass out from the pain. After it was over the tech asked me to have a seat while she went to talk to the radiologist to make sure she got a good picture. While I was waiting I thought about what would have happened if I had passed out. Let me tell you, the picture in my head was not pretty. Imagine my limp body hanging by my left breast that was being held by the mammography machine like a vice. Anyway, the tech came back and told me that she got a good picture and proceeded to tell me what the radiologist said, and I quote "he said that he thinks the spot they were looking at was just normal breast tissue." Excuse me?!!! "He thinks?!!" I asked her to go back to the radiologist and get clarification. She came back and told me that he said "the spot is just normal breast tissue and we will be sending a report to your doctor within 3 days."

I was very relieved after hearing this news. I urge everyone to do regular self breast exams and even though the mammograms are uncomfortable(painful) to get theirs done. For more on breast cancer awareness visit the Susan G. Komen website at http://www.komen.org/index.htm

1 comment:

TutleyMutley said...

Excellent news - pleased for you.